Helping parents prepare children for school and life
The Family Center provides assistance to Berks County families who are expecting a baby or have children 5 years or younger. Family Development Specialists help parents understand the development stages their children go through to better prepare them for school and life using evidence-based Parents as Teachers (PAT) curriculum. They work with families on parenting, child development, and other issues affecting a family’s well-being. With 20 years of experience, the Family Center provides information on well-baby care, infant developmental stages, using the Ages and Stages Developmental and Social Emotional Screening tools, and preschool and kindergarten readiness. Intensive case management services are offered as needed to families, focusing on all areas of family growth. Specialists also help families access other community-based services through the County Assistance Office.
The goals of the BCAP Family Center are to:
- Promote positive child development through effective parenting, early intervention, and outreach services
- Support and preserve the family unit as the foundation for success for children
- Ensure healthy development and health care services for children
- Provide a seamless, comprehensive, and easily accessed network for families
- Encourage economic self-sufficiency for families through adult education
Other services include:
- Home visits two times a month
- Information and help connecting with other community resources when needed
The Family Center also works with consumers involved in classroom activities in the GED program.
645 Penn Street
PO BOX 22
Reading PA 1960